Jak has always been a favorite character of mine and I finally managed to work up the courage to make his main costume from Jak 2, but since then I'd tossed around the idea of making a Dark Jak. I always thought this side of him was so scary and mysterious, which is right up my alley! Since I already have the main costume made, adding the Dark Jak pieces to an already existing costume should be easy right?
Jak Construction Notes:
The shirt is actually more like a jacket that zips down the front and was made of this super nice stretch polyester. I even made the clips for the belts in the back out of worbla, based off of the ones in the concept art! The capris were probably the easiest part of this costume, just straight normal pants. The bandanna and face mask took a few tries to get just right, and actually ended up being two separate pieces, but I can pull the face mask up in case I ever wanted to do a shot like that. The gaiters were two separate fabrics sewn together with vinyl belts sewn into them. I also added the same clips to the gaiter belts.
Originally I wasn't going to use a muscle suit, but then saw another cosplayers' tutorial on how they made their own and so I decided to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised with not only how nice it looked with the costume but also how easily it came together!
The armor and goggles are all funfoam covered in worbla and took quite a bit of shaping to get right. The lens for the goggles are resin and I used the same vinyl for the straps to cover the base of the goggles. Lots and lots of hand-sewing not only for the goggles but for the edging for the gloves and pouch as well.
Jak's forever long ears were another huge obstacle, but I tackled these in a similar manner to my Zelda ears, just five times longer. XD I ended up using a soda bottle to hold my latex while I dunked the ears into them. It actually worked pretty well! I used my newest mold for the Dark Jak ears, so they are even bigger and more accurate than my first set of Jak ears.
The wig is made from one Light Grey Jareth and one weft in the same color form Arda Wigs. I used the entire package of wefts to add more bulk to the top of the wig around the horns. After that it was a matter of spiking, spraying, and gluing everything in place.
The horns are made from insulation foam. I carved the foam, smoothed it out, and then sanded out the ridges. Once I was happy with the shape I covered them in worbla, painted them, and attached them to the wig. The attachment part was basically a worbla headband with tabs for the horns to sit on. I pushed the tabs through the wig and set the horns in place.
The claws were the easiest part so far. I re-purposed my Vaati gloves and attached longer (creepier) nails to them. Done!
Goatee was based off of an Arda Wigs tutorial I found on their website. The only difference with mind is that I made a foam structure to glue the wefts too. I love the new shape and how light it is!