Collaborating with Alasse Veneanar Captivations, TifaIA Cosplay, & Velvet Rose Cosplay!
I was so afraid to start this bad boy, what a mass of detail and tricky fitting! I started out with a paper patter for the mask part around my face, trying to get the layering and eye holes aright, and once that was completed I used those pieces as the patterns for the foam. I covered the entire mask portion with worbla, adjusted the fitting, and once happy with that, began patterning the dragon head. This started out as a paper pattern as well that looked really similar to a duck bill ball cap (and it looked even more ridiculous once the worbla was on it). Despite the stupid initial look, I knew I was going to be happier with the look once I added the additional details. The ears, the antennae, and the horns were all sculpted with solid worbla. I made the eyes out of resin and layered tinted film on the back for a little pop of color. Once I attached the eyes, I sculpted the rest of the dragon details out of paperclay. The tail of the helmet is a rolled Arda Wigs weft in Platinum Blonde that I dyed purple at the base and sewed into the helmet.
These were actually the first pieces I completed. I started with a paper pattern and once happy with it did the real thing with foam and worbla. Putting the whole thing together and making sure I could slip my hand through was quite a challenge, but I'm happy with the result. I also tried something new with these pieces, rolled worbla trim. It took a few attempts to get the technique down, but I think it looks pretty accurate!
Same as before, these started with a paper pattern that was actually really similar to my Umi pauldron pattern. Again, used worbla to cover the foam and solid worbla to sculpt the wings. I added just a bit of paperclay to the base of the wings, just to give it more dimension.
The Tabard / Buttflap:
I make a test pattern out of butcher paper which eventually became the pattern pieces for the actual design. I knew I wanted to used suede for this, since it looks like leather to me anyway, and luckily I already had most of what I needed on hand! I used the paper patterns to cut out the pieces, heat n bonded them in the correct placement, and then spent the whole evening appliqueing them.
The Torso Armor:
Again paper patterned and then used to trace onto foam and worbla. This thing has been a monster to put together, but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.
This was so much easier to pattern, especially after all the practice I've had making fins from scrap pieces of worbla. I basically used the same technique that I used for the ears and pauldron fins, rolled scraps of worbla to the right thickness for the "veins" and then used two pieces of worbla smooshed together for the fins. I have some spare styrofoam balls laying around from my Usagi wig, so I used one of those for the belt buckle, covered it in worbla and added the teeth details on top of that. It looks like a purple Batman belt....
I found the coolest crocodile (dragon) patterned stretch vinyl fabric and bought that for the base! Originally it was a green and brown color but I airbrushed it a dark purple color to go with the rest of the costume and added the white piping detail. I think once it was painted I built it in a night which must have been some kind of record for me.
Because I ran out of time on everything else the spear was made in an evening the night before I planned on wearing the costume. Luckily I was able to pull it together and finish it in time because it would have been pretty boring posing without a prop. Now that the con is over though I'd love to touch it up and make it as smooth as the rest of the armor.