Where to begin? I made this costume in 2008. It's not me wearing it (it's my brother again).
The armor pieces started out as a fun foam base and then were covered in wonderflex. Trying to create the right shapes and fit was a very difficult task. The fish scales at the back of the helmet were especially difficult to shape correctly. The funfoam base was mainly held together with duct tape until I was able to wonderflex over it. Some of the details were cut out pieces of foam layered over the wonderflex but most of the designs were just hand painted.
The coat and pants are a very thick cotton twill and the entire thing is lined with stabilizer and a twill lining. I tried to keep the stiff look of the coat as close to the game design as possible. All of the designs on the sleeves and coat were hand painted using a paper stencil I drew out based off of the Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophy. The pants were one of the biggest challenges for this costume because of the weird rectangular shapes. I decided to make up my own "pleated" pattern to get the pants as close as possible. The tabard is a medium weight suede fabric and the designs were also hand painted using another hand drawn paper stencil. The back tabard is made from a grey cotton and a red cotton pieces are sewn together in a quilt block style with the other designs painted over it. I used the same suede fabric for the maroon sections on the tassels. The ends of the tassels are a grey cotton and I used a lovely embossed gold bead (that usually can't be seen) to separate the two tassel halves.
The neck piece and the legs are a "nude" spandex fabric with a 1.5" horizontal stitch all the way down the piece to give it that "lined" look. The shoes, wow the shoes were a pain. I found a brown slip on shoe and then formed the odd dragon shapes with more foam and wonderflex. I tried to secure them as much as possible but still allow the wearer to be able to walk.
All in all, this costume was a lot of fun and a big challenge for me.
Update: Working on making the designs on the armor stand out a bit more. The costume has had some wear over the years too, so it needs not only to be updated, but really cleaned up. I used the resin statue as a reference so they will be as accurate as possible and redid all of the designs with funfoam for extra definition. All the armor pieces have been repainted and glossed as well. The faces on the back were the biggest challenge by far. Each one has a lot of really small pieces fitted together.
I have also updated the tabard and the tassels. I used a moleskin for the red and then appliqued on the white and blue designs. I'm pretty happy with the changes because now those designs stand out more and are a lot sharper than the